Verbosities

My discoveries and associated ramblings

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hanoimania!

Amit Singh became one of my heroes as soon as I saw his Hanoimania! page. He wrote 110 different programs to solve the Towers of Hanoi puzzle. They were written in an amazing variety of languages and for an amazing variety of platforms. Some of them are complete operating systems that simply boot and solve the puzzle. A couple of them were written as firmware for the Macintosh. He even wrote versions of the program for a couple of video game consoles and a car MP3 player.

My favorite is the ICMP (ping) implementation. When you run this program on a server and then ping the server, you get the puzzle solution encoded in the ping response packets. This is truly the most wonderfully twisted use of computer resources that I have ever seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home