Verbosities

My discoveries and associated ramblings

Thursday, September 11, 2003

For those who don't know, Perl is a programming language. The name is an acronym for "Practical Extraction and Report Language." One thing about Perl that sets it apart from many other languages is that there are many ways to accomplish any given task.

So, I logged onto one of the school's computers and typed "man perl" to get the perl instruction manual. I noticed near the end of the document a line that says, "Perl actually stands for Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister, but don't tell anyone I said that."

A couple of paragraphs laters, it says, "The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris." I guess when you write the man file, you can put whatever you want in it.

Just thought I'd share that so that other Unix/Linux users might get a chuckle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home